Tuesday 28 July 2015

My Slimming World Journey

I wanted to write this post when I had received my first half stone award but here I am 7 weeks in and 6 pounds down. Not  very much people expect to loss that in their first week, but am I disheartened? No! Do I love slimming world? Yes I could not be more happier I bit the bullet and joined 7 weeks ago.

So my weight loss is slow, and I knew from the start it always would be. Due to health issues I suffer from Insulin Resistance. Slightly similar to Diabetes but no where near as bad. What it means in weight wise is that I find it very difficult to loss weight due to my metabolism been greatly decreased. So this also means weight can easily piled on. Before diagnosis my diet was pretty clean I always bought meat from the butchers and fresh fruit and veg, I never bought processed food barely ate takeaways. My weight though did not reflect my diet at all.  Doctors suggested I try low gi diet which I did I cut out so much, bought special foods said goodbye to all grains, ate lentils by the bucket load, broke countless nails grating up cauliflower rice. So six months on feeling deprived and craving everything I could not have, been moody and irritable I had only lost 5 pounds. 5 bloody pounds!!!

It just was not working and I felt worse then ever before. So family had suggested Slimming World to be countless times, but I was convinced it would not work due to my food limitations. When a close friend of mine admitted she had been going for some time and was loving it and promised me I would really enjoy it and if it did not work they would give me my money back.

So start of June I bit the bullet and joined. Sitting in my first group meeting I could understand why everyone lately has been raving about Slimming World, the confidence you leave group with is amazing because everyone is so encouraging and supportive. My Consultant Lorraine is one in a million also and is there throughout the week not only at group.

So the plan, you have speed foods, protein foods, free foods and syns. You can eat as much protein, speed and free foods as you want and you get 5-15 syns a day. Once you understand the plan it is very easy to comprehend. So this meant for me I would have to introduce food I had been avoiding for so long, I convinced myself the whole first week it was not going to work, this plan was going to make me gain weight and I would be back to square one. 

First week I lost a pound. At group I said I was disappointed, but the reason I was disappointed was because I expected to be like other people. The big loss getting their first award in one week, two weeks etc. Then I sat myself down and gave myself a kick up the arse and a tap on the back. I had to remember that everyone is different, our journeys are different, we progress at different rates and we meet bumps in the road at different times. So 7 weeks on I have had 4 losses 2 maintains and a gain. I have lost more weight in 7 weeks then I did following the diet the hospital gave me for 6 months. I have never once let the word disappointed cross my lips again at group and remained positive at everything the scales throws at me each week. I am in a new stone bracket. My moods are better and I no longer feel deprived. I may be still waiting on my first award but I have already received one Slimmer of the Week Award , my Bronze Body Magic Award. To my total shock last night I have also been Nominated for Women of the Year 2015.

So follow me here for my journey and weekly slimming world friendly recipes.
Follow my Instagram dedicated only to my Slimming World Journey @Megan.sw

Find your local Slimming World Group at SlimmingWorld.ie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...