My mam used to make Shepard's Pie nearly every week when I was younger. It was always a really filling meal and would warm you right up over winter months. Over the years I have been trying to make my version healthier every time I made it by omitting processed packets, gravy granules, extra salt and now by omitting dairy yet still having creamy mash on top.
(Serves 4 people or 2 really hungry people)
- 250g of under 5% lean mince(beef or lamb)
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 500ml of boiling water
- 3 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 100g of frozen peas
- 100ml of unsweetened almond milk
- Dried mixed herbs
- Dried Parsley
- Chop vegetable up finely.
- In a large pan fry mince until brown, add in onions and garlic and saute until soft.
- At this stage add in dried herbs, these should be added in at the start as they need time to release flavor, if using fresh add in at the end.
- Mix the stock cubes with 500ml of boiling water and add to the pot with carrots.
- Bring to boil, turn to simmer to let the liquid reduce to thicker consistency.
- Peel and chop potatoes to roughly the same size, bring to boil in a pot of water. Depending on size of potatoes this can take 15-30mins.
- When the gravy mix has reduced to a thicker consistency remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes, using a potato masher mash potatoes, add in almond milk a little at a time, too little and they will be dry, too much and the mash is ruined. Constantly taste test. I also add in pepper and parsley to add flavour.
- Add in frozen peas for last 5 minutes of simmering
- In a oven dish add in your mince mixture, once evenly spread out start to add mash on top.
- Evenly smooth out mash, using a knife/fork along the top and create a design, I went with criss-cross design. By adding a design to the mash you are giving more of a surface area to get crispy. Pierce the mash all the way through in some areas to allow steam release. ( I forgot hence my hole)
- Place is a preheated oven of 160 degrees for 30 mins.
- Serve and enjoy!
On Slimming World this would be considered free on Extra Easy Plan